Monday, February 13, 2017

Is it time for a Chromebook? The new Chromebook Pro now available.

The new Chromebook Pro is available now for $449.  Is it ready for prime time?

I have used a Chromebook for over a year now and find it to be far more acceptable to use as a portable device than my iPad.  The battery life is a full day, start up is quick and with my Office 365 subscription I am able to perform much of what I need to accomplish in word processing, spreadsheets and of course email.  Although I have a couple of paid for MS Office 365 subscriptions, you don't have to pay for the Office Online subscriptions to use the online MS Office apps.  I signed up for a free Outlook.com email account and I am able to use the free online MS apps with that account.

The Chromebook I have is a HP 11 G4.  It has 32 GB SSD, 4 GB RAM and an Intel Celeron processor.  The only problems I have encountered is sometimes with streaming online content.  Often times I cast my screen to my 50" Sony TV and when I try to simultaneously send the audio to Bluetooth speaker it fails to sync the video and audio together resulting in a lag.  Have you tried wireless casting to your TV from your computer yet?  Awesome stuff.

In defense of my Chromebook it was only $169, a bargain for the price and a factor in why a lot of school districts are moving to Chromebooks as the preferred lesson delivery device for their students.  The Chromebook is tied to Internet accessibility but with access to the Internet being ubiquitous that is no longer a factor except in the most remote locales.

The Chromebook is evolving and a new model, the Chromebook Pro is available with the more powerful Intel Core processors.  Many of the Android Apps available on your Android phone are now coming to the Chromebook with more being ported over.

Below are links with different approaches to assessing the Chromebook Pro.  I hope they enlighten and inform you as to what to expect with a Chromebook, enjoy!

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-five-stages-of-chromebook-acceptance/


http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/10/14570480/samsung-chromebook-plus-laptop-review

http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/10/14571332/not-a-chromebook-pro-review-samsung-chrome-os-android-convertible










No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it's not so! Windows 12 is coming in 2024. Apple iPhone malware/exploits.

Windows 12 is coming soon in 2024 I've read too many emails and articles hinting at a new Windows in the months leading up to 2024 and n...