Friday, December 3, 2021

Over a Million WordPress sites Hacked and Chip Shortage-Sky High Video cards prices - Crypto Mining

Over a million WordPress sites breached

UPDATED: WordPress site owners hosted by GoDaddy have had their data exposed -- for months.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/over-a-million-godaddy-managed-wordpress-sites-cracked/

and my experience Crypto Mining

Alleged Chip Shortage and how to become a Crypto Millionaire or not.

The chip shortages affecting automobile production and computer pricing has been in the news lately.  We've been told lots of stories about the cause whether it's supply chain issue or pandemic related.  The chips related to auto manufacturing are supposedly low profit margin and the chip makers are not thrilled about gearing up capacity to supply the auto makers.  Ford is building a plant to make their own chips in the future.  Tesla seems to be the only auto manufacturer not affected.  I'm sure Elon Musk had already incorporated chip manufacturing in the company SOP.

Computer chips have steadily crept upward in prices, especially memory.  The computers Driving Force builds are 99% for business and don't require dedicated Graphics cards for business/cloud applications.

I recently built a new monster PC for myself so I could install/test Windows 11.  At the time there were no video cards available so I had to use an older Nvidia 750 ti card.  I thought Gamers were eating up the available supply of video cards causing shortages and steep prices.  I tried searching for video cards with at least 4GB, preferably 6 GB of memory and they are sold out everywhere.. Best Buy for example.  In addition, the price has doubled at least.  In July of 2019, I bought a NVidia 1650/4 GB Ram for $149.99 at Micro Center.




Today the same card will cost you at least $319 at Newegg, up to $390 for the same chipset.



and those are not the most expensive cards either, see below.



As I said above, I thought it was gamers causing the video cards to be scarce and the chip shortage but I was wrong.  If you watch the stock market you know Nvidia and AMD stocks are some of the hottest ones to have.  Both companies make GPUs, Graphic Processing Units and are experiencing no chip shortage.  

The demand behind their products is Crypto Mining.  That's right, GPUs are more efficient at processing crypto transactions (mining) than computer CPUs.  I've a couple of SOL (Solana) mining machines running full time at my office, one is employing the Nvidia 1650 in my main machine and the other miner is a 3rd generation Intel Core i5 processor.  I had my monster AMD Ryzen 9 mining but the strain mining placed on the CPU was too high.  It affected performance significantly as well as generated a lot of heat from the processor.  I didn't want to risk the investment in my new AMD Ryzen 9 Windows 11 machine, mining is not lucrative enough with my present setup.

However, with the right video cards and enough of them one could make a lot of money mining.  That is why so many countries and even towns in certain US states have outlawed crypto mining.

As of today  12/3/21 at 6:30 a.m. EST, since 11/29/21 11:45 a.m.  I have mined almost $2 ($1.85 to be exact) of Solana, LOL.

There has been some down time.  My initial rig was my AMD machine,  I took it offline and established my main computer with the Nvidia 1650 as a miner.  (BTW, since I don't game I don't see much performance degradation using the GPU rather than the CPU), and yesterday I added a second miner using the old Intel Core i5 computer that plods along in another room happily mining.

So there you have it.  Why there is a chip shortage, 
  1. Chip manufacturers want to build GPUs, not low profit margin auto chips (now even Intel is developing a graphics chip).
  2. GPUs in high demand by Crypto miners.
and that's my story, I'm sticking to it.

I will follow up with another article soon about my mining software and how to build your own mining rig. Also hopefully an update on extreme earnings if I can acquire the right video (GPU) card.  I want to try an ETH Ethereum miner, BTW, Solana which is currently at $236/coin is an Ethereum based alt coin.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Kaspersky Ban, Latest Security News

The latest Security News and Anti-Virus options in wake of US Kaspersky ban. With the impending 09/29/24 drop dead date for receiving update...