Monday, October 8, 2018

Special Alert: do not install Latest Windows 10 Update. Microsoft halts rollout.

Microsoft has halted the rollout of it’s latest Windows 10 October update, dubbed version 1809.  It was originally released to the public this past Tuesday, October 2nd and was scheduled for automatic rollout this starting this week.  It has been halted after reports of data loss.  In the statement Microsoft says ;

“We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating.
If you have manually downloaded the Windows 10 October 2018 Update installation media, please don't install it and wait until new media is available.
We will provide an update when we resume rolling out the Windows 10 October 2018 Update to customers. “

During the beta stage, there was one report in a feedback hub “Files Deleted” 3 months earlier about the Documents folder having been replaced by a new Documents folder.

However, within hours of the latest release to the public last week reports from users started coming in.

“I'm on a Dell Precision. This happened to me as well! The contents of the Documents folder totally disappeared. All the other folders for my user profile such as Desktop, AppData, etc are intact. Fortunately, I had a backup from the summer. I have been a loyal Windows user since Win95, and I've never had a Windows update single out my Documents folder for deletion. Very disappointed today.”

Several commenters who updated multiple machines have reported that the issue affected only one device:
“I have had the same issue happen. I updated two computers last night. One computer Documents and Pictures are there and everything is good on the second computer my Documents and Pictures folder is now empty, all files that were in these folders are gone. I can confirm that the other files in my Users folder are still there, it appears that only Documents and Pictures where deleted.”

The author of the story I am citing here is suspicious of a new Auto Save capability that has been added to OneDrive allowing Windows 10 users to link the Local Documents, Pictures, and Desktop folders.

To read the complete article, click on the link below;
  

Free Radical, Ltd. dba Driving Force Software

( Phone: 404-728-0353





No comments:

Post a Comment

Kaspersky Ban, Latest Security News

The latest Security News and Anti-Virus options in wake of US Kaspersky ban. With the impending 09/29/24 drop dead date for receiving update...