Monday, December 4, 2017

Windows 10 update woes cont'd, Apple's update woes, Amazon Echo Dot

Arrrrgghhhh!  Microsoft, you killing me.

Sorry for the delayed response to my last post about upgrading my desktop to the latest version of Windows 10, Fall Creator's update, version 1709.  If you remember from my last post, after upgrading my PC I was presented with a black screen and flashing cursor with no available solution.  My only recourse after exhaustive searching for a solution was to restore my system to the previous version of Windows 10, version 1703.

Microsoft acknowledged the issue and released a couple of more updates that supposedly addressed the issue so last week I attempted to upgrade my system again.  This time was a complete disaster.  After the upgrade I once again was greeted with black screen and cursor.  Failing to resolve the issue  I tried to revert back to the previous version of Window 10 with no success.  I received a message stating that Windows encountered a problem and was unable to restore my previous version.

Great, right?  My only choices were to perform a recovery keeping my files and documents or recovery losing all my files.  Either way I was going to lose all my programs and settings.  Fortunately all my data/files are on a network drive and were safe.  I pulled the hard drive from my Core i7 desktop and connected it to a Core i5 desktop in hopes of it working there but the same black screen with cursor appeared on the new hardware.

Not wanting to be stuck with a machine that could not be upgraded, I downloaded the latest version Windows 10, Fall Creator's update, v1709, created a  USB boot installation drive and performed a fresh install of  Windows 10 successfully.

Windows 10 will notify you when the Fall Creators Update is available for your device. When the update is ready, you'll be asked to pick a time to install it if you're not ready.  To protect your data be sure to maintain a backup of your critical files in the event that something goes wrong.

If you are uncertain if the upgrade has occurred on PC yet, to check which version you are on please visit the following link,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028685/windows-10-get-the-fall-creators-update

If your computer has already been upgraded your version should be;

The issue with Windows machines is that there are so many available programs and options that no 2 machines are ever alike.  I'm sure there was some program or device driver or some combination of the two that was causing my black screen problem since I was able to successfully perform a clean install on the same hardware.

a bright note in all this, I discovered a free screen snapshot utility, Snip.  It works great and it's free.  Get it at; https://mix.office.com/snip


and don't gloat Apple users...

Apple's had a shockingly bad week of software problems

In the past week a massive security vulnerability was discovered in the latest macOS upgrade.  Anyone with access, either direct or remote could bypass administrator authentication and login without a password.

To make matters worse Apple then released a patch, followed by another upgrade which broke the patch and reintroduced the vulnerability.

https://news.google.com/news/search/section/q/apple%20problems/apple%20problems?hl=en&ned=us

Amazon's Echo Dot and my week with Alexa.

On a good note I purchased an Echo Dot during the Thanksgiving sales and I must say I am very impressed by it.  I interfaced it with my smartphone and in addition to providing me weather, music and news I use it as a speaker phone to place calls.  It is so easy, "Alexa", call so and so and she places the call, the audio is very good.  I tell Alexa to pair with my BlueTooth devices and she accomplishes this with ease.  I am just beginning to explore how Alexa can assist me in automating my house and will try to post updates as I explore the Dot's capability.

I purchased the Dot, regular price $49.95 for $29.95 on sale during the holidays.

https://www.amazon.com/b/?ie=UTF8&node=9818047011&ref_=fs_ods_fs_aucc_cp

This push into home automation is being spear headed by Amazon with Goggle Home trying to play catch up.  Apple is also trying to move into this market but has missed the important holiday season with the release of their HomePod not schedule until 2018.  Of course in true Apple tradition it is priced at $349, much higher than Amazon Echo or Google Home.

https://www.cnet.com/products/apple-homepod/preview/


support your local blogger, buy a computer!  Happy Holidays!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Kaspersky Ban, Latest Security News

The latest Security News and Anti-Virus options in wake of US Kaspersky ban. With the impending 09/29/24 drop dead date for receiving update...